With the Office Christmas Party film releasing, it’s a great reminder of what precautions to take so that your annual holiday party does not turn into a legal and logistical nightmare. Here are some tips on things to consider to plan a fun and safe holiday party!
1. Emphasize Safety
· Encourage employees to use Uber or Lyft if they are drinking
· Reimburse or pay for rides to and from company holiday party
2. Limit the Time of the Party
· If the party is limited to a few hours, employees are likely to drink less
· This allows enough time for employees to enjoy the party, but not feel obligated to stay for a long period of time
3. Coordinate Activities
· The Holiday party is a time for co-workers and management to mingle.
· Plan a schedule that include Secret Santa, a white elephant exchange, and games with prizes
4. Set Guidelines
· Send out an email advising employees of the guidelines for the party.
· Remind employees not to drink excessively, engaging in harassing or aggressive behavior, drive home after drinking, and participating in unwanted physical contact
5. Designate a secret security team (at least 2 people)
· These individuals can recognize problems before they occur and enforce the company guidelines. It is a good idea to have a couple of people because guests come and go at different times and they can relieve each other so they can enjoy the party.
· This person or persons will have the authority to take an employee’s keys and call them a cab or refuse additional beverages etc.